H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. ','H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. ','Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. ','H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital is seeking new team members (Partners)! Since our inception, we've been investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we're hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. We're using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption--like Curbside and Home Delivery--so you'll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you're someone who enjoys taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
As a Manager of Engineering, you'll raise up your team, helping develop individual careers and achieving goals, spotting and addressing common team problems, and coaching and mentoring those identified for potential company leadership. You'll work closely with stakeholders from product and design, and other engineering leaders, to provide high-quality, repeatable technology delivery for the digital engineering organization. You'll provide leadership across all aspects of development to maintain a high bar for technology, people, and process.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Engineering Manager job, that means you have a...
HEART FOR PEOPLE... you have a passion for mentorship and guidance, and love for the direct person-to-person interactions that create strong bonds between teams
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... you have an ownership mentality and a consistent track record of timely delivery of high-quality software
PASSION FOR RESULTS... the ability to guide the discussion, remove roadblocks, and provide guardrails for your team as they identify challenges and propose solutions
What You'll Do (Management, Design & Development)
- Directly supervise individual contributors or other Managers
- Coach / mentor others in engineering techniques, processes, and new technologies; enable others to succeed; empower team members to be autonomous, fast, and effective
- Manage all HR responsibilities for your team, including pay planning, promotions, expenses, and leave
- Understand / foster the value of radical candor when having 1:1 conversations
- Lead large initiatives within the team, including technical design / delivery of complex features across multiple systems as H-E-B improves the customer and Partner user experiences
- Help grow Digital Engineering by driving execution of organization-wide activities
- Develop technical roadmaps and lead engineers across one or more squads to deliver initiatives; apply your understanding of fundamentals of the business to ensure technical roadmap aligns with business opportunities
- Recommend improvements to overall application system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance
- Identify ways to improve codebases, solutions to complex problems; effectively propose paths forward to drive outcomes
- Recommend changes to processes and tools at the group / dept level based on industry standards, patterns, and practices
- Diagnose / troubleshoot extremely complex issues
- Create documentation and training related to technology stacks and standards
- Jump down to IC-level duties, when needed, to provide guidance on code reviews or pull requests
Who You Are
- You have a related degree or comparable formal training, certification, or work experience
- You have 4+ years as a Software Engineer and have successful leadership (of small teams of 4 - 8) experience
- You have expert knowledge of system architecture and design patterns
- You have deep knowledge of multiple technologies,